0 users online

Football Rumours on Saturday 1st September 2012

last updated Saturday 01st September 2012, 10:27 AM


  • Manchester City failed with a bid to sign Omar Abdulrahman last week after the winger impressed during a trial. The 20-year-old - who shone at London 2012 for the United Arab Emirates - opted to stay with Al Ain "for at least another season" due to a desire to repay the loyalty shown to him by his current employers.
    (Sport 360)


  • Sunderland and Stoke are competing to sign striker Michael Owen on a free transfer. The 32-year-old is available as a free agent and can sign for a new club outside the transfer window after he was released by Manchester United.
    (Daily Mail)


  • Stoke considered selling Glenn Whelan to Wolves to fund their move for midfielder Charlie Adam, 26.
    (Stoke Sentinel )


  • Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers, 39, is "shocked" by his club's inability to land a new striker in the summer transfer window. The Anfield outfit made a "derisory" bid to Fulham for forward Clint Dempsey, 29, and were rejected by Chelsea striker Daniel Sturridge after the 22-year-old refused to move on loan.
    (Daily Mirror)


  • Fulham claim Liverpool offered just £3m for Dempsey before the United States international was sold to Tottenham.
    (The Guardian)


  • Blackburn turned down a loan offer from West Brom for left-back Martin Olsson, 24, before the Baggies turned to Dynamo Kiev defender Goran Popov.
    (Birmingham Mail)



    OTHER GOSSIP

  • Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has revealed he was wanted by Manchester United to replace Roy Keane but it would have been "impossible" for him to make the move due to the rivalry between the clubs.
    (Daily Mail)


  • Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner had to use his own private jet to ensure Genk striker Christian Benteke, 21, arrived in the Midlands in time to complete his move before the transfer deadline expired.
    (The Sun)


  • The Premier League will consider having five referees at matches if evidence from UEFA's tests can prove the system raises the standard of officiating.
    (London Evening Standard)


  • QPR manager Mark Hughes says he will not stop goalkeeper Robert Green from leaving the club in January after the arrival of Inter Milan's Julio Cesar, 32, ended the summer signing's short stint as number one at the club.
    (Daily Star)


  • Leeds manager Neil Warnock admits he is "a little bit envious" of the cash spent by Championship rivals Cardiff and Blackburn this summer.
    (The Independent)


  • Sunderland winger Adam Johnson, 25, says he had to leave Manchester City after he was not picked for England's Euro 2012 squad.
    (The Journal)



    AND FINALLY

  • Liverpool midfielder Nuri Sahin, 23, has revealed he was in the crowd in Istanbul in 2005 when his new club fought back from 3-0 down at half-time to win the Champions League.
    (The Sun)


  • Lazio plan to invite Paul Gascoigne to Rome to watch the Europa League game with Tottenham. The 45-year-old played in midfield for both clubs during his playing career.
    (Daily Express)




















  • Source BBC Sport
    Since 1998
    "It's been updated!"