Fulham striker Steve Marlet says he is still hopeful of winning a place
in France's squad for the World Cup finals in South Korea and Japan.
The 27-year-old has endured a difficult first season in the English premier
league since his 11.5million pound move from Olympique Lyon to Craven
Cottage last year.
|
|
|
|
 |
|
|
Fulham striker Steve Marlet says he is still hopeful of winning a place
in France's squad for the World Cup finals.
|
|
|
|
|
His premier league career was hit by two consecutive leg injuries, the
latter a fracture, but his goalscoring touch returned in the latter part
of the season.
Marlet scored a goal for his country in their 5-0 demolition of Scotland
last month but faces stiff competition in the France squad from the likes
of Thierry Henry, David Trezeguet, Sylvain Wiltord, Youri Djorkaeff and
Nicolas Anelka.
"I don't know when the World Cup squad is announced, but obviously
I hope that I will be picked, it is my dream," Marlet said
"All I can do is play my best and hope that the manager thinks that
is good enough.
"I had a difficult start to the season. But I finished better, although
it would have been difficult to have done any worse.
"I've enjoyed playing in England and with Fulham, and now I'm looking
forward to next season and hopefully I can start properly at the beginning
and play regularly."
Fulham may yet salvage an Intertoto Cup place from their troubled season
- although Saturday's goalless draw against relegated Leicester City was
a disappointment.
They now need a win at Blackburn Rovers on the final day of the season
on May 11 to keep alive their hopes of forcing their way into next season's
UEFA Cup.
"All we can do is make sure we go and win at Blackburn as we still
have a chance of qualifying for the InterToto Cup," Marlet said.
"It's a way of getting into Europe, a difficult way, but still worth
it. If there's a chance of getting there that way, then we'll take it."