Fulham have confirmed Bryan Ruiz has joined PSV Eindhoven on a loan deal until the end of the season.
The Costa Rica striker was signed by former boss Martin Jol from Dutch side FC Twente for £10.6m on the final day of the summer transfer window in 2011.
Ruiz made 51 appearances for the club, scoring eight times in the process but has found first-team opportunities limited under new manager Rene Meulensteen.
The 28-year-old had a medical with PSV on Monday having been told by Meulensteen that he could leave Craven Cottage.
"When the opportunity arose I was interested," Ruiz told PSV's website.
"It's true I didn't have much playing time at Fulham lately, so I see this as a great opportunity for me. I want to get my confidence back, help PSV finish as high as possible and prepare for the World Cup."
Meulensteen admitted last week that Ruiz was not part of his long-term plans, saying: "I wouldn't call his signing a mistake because at that time it was probably for Fulham the right choice and the right investment.
"Don't get me wrong, he is a very good player. I've come in, I've looked at the squad, worked with these players, I've picked my teams on what I think are the right reasons and motivations, but I can also understand Bryan's point of view."
Fulham FC statement
The Club can confirm that Bryan Ruiz has joined Dutch outfit PSV Eindhoven on a loan deal until the end of the season.
Having made 14 appearances for the Whites in the current campaign, Ruiz will now link up with Phillip Cocu's side as they aim to improve on their current standing of seventh in the Eredivisie.
Everyone at Fulham would like to wish the Costa Rica captain well during his temporary spell in the Netherlands.